Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Mug Mats For Home, Office, Any Where

Hello, and welcome to Patty's Happy Place!  Here is where I post my favorite crafts; sewing/quilting and crochet, and maybe other crafts. I will be posting tutorials related to my projects here. 


Doing tutorials are new to me, so my first projects may be familiar to you. Okay, enough about that, let's get started on my first project tutorial! 

Mug Mats
A great fat quarter project. or you can use your scraps!
Front and back view They are approximately 4 1/2 inches square.


Here is what you need to make your own.

1. sewing machine and thread. (you can sew these by hand, if you wish).
2. cutting mat and rotary cutter
3. ruler
4. pins
5. iron and pressing mat
6. spray starch (optional)
7. three different but coordinating fabrics. I used three fat quarters and yardage for my hidden fabric.  you can also use up scraps. 
8. batting (I used 100% cotton batting, low loft.)


Cutting Directions:(Press your fabric before cutting)

1. Batting - six 5" squares
2. Patchwork top - twenty four 5" squares:
    twelve of one color or print
    twelve of another color or print
3. Bottom - six 5" squares
4. Hidden square - six 5" squares eg. muslin
I folded my fabric up to four layers. Line up the fold on a grid line, then make a straight edge and cut off the selvage, before cutting your 5" strips.
After you cut your strips, measure and cut strips into 5" squares. From each fat quarter I was able to get three 5" strips, which gave me twelve 5" squares.
After cutting your strips into 5" squares, you will need twelve solid, twelve poke-a-dots, and six of another print. I forgot to add my hidden squares (six), but I used white.  And of course don't forget the six batting 5"squares.
I pressed my solid and poke-a-dot pieces in half with wrong sides together. Please excuse my pressing pad, I need to put a new cover on it.  eew! That's what happens when you use starch, I think. 
Okay, now let's start assembling our mat.  First I take a batting square, 
add the "hidden" piece on top of the batting and flip over so batting is at the top.
Add the other print on top of the batting and leave it the way it is.
Lay your first print on top of the square. make sure the fold is toward the center of the square.

continue laying the folded fabrics until you have four on the top that alternate from solid to print. It will look like a four patch.
 When you lay the last piece on, you will need to pull up the first piece, where it has not been pinned yet. Then put the solid piece under the poke-a-dots and pin.  
Starting away from a corner, sew all around your square using a 1/4" seam.  Make sure you sew a little over your starting point to lock the stitches in.
 Snip the corners, but not your stitching and pull out the pins.

Now you can turn it right side out and press. You now have a mug mat. Continue with the remaining squares so you can have a set of six matching mug mats. 

I hope you enjoy making these fun mug mats.  You can find many videos on making these, on You tube. Here is one of them. Gourmet Quilter.

If you have found an error in my directions, please let me know so I can correct it.  Thank you.

Thank you for stopping by. 

2 comments:

  1. Loved your tutorial. I REALLY liked the idea of putting the post it notes next to what you were doing so it was easier to read/see. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonni. I didn't know for sure how that would work.

      Delete